Recipient of the 2016 Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship for outstanding PhD candidates by the Purdue Graduate School (Apr 2016)
Award Winner for the ACM CCS 2014 Student Travel Grant (Nov 2014)
Winner of the Telecom Italia WorkingCapital grant for FifthElement (Jul 2014)
Winner of the Health Awareness Award @ Microsoft Imagine Cup 2012 worldwide finals (Jul 2012)
2nd place @ InnovAction Lab 2012 national finals (Italian national entrepreneurship competition) (Jul 2012)
2nd place @ Nokia University Program 2011 national finals (Oct 2011)
One of the first Italian developers to be certified for Windows 8 Store Apps development
Open-source Contributions and Projects
Feel free to check out my open source projects on GitHub: https://github.com/danielemidi.
As an undergrad, I also developed AutoLab, a free tool to model queueing nets (downloaded since then by hundreds of students at Roma Tre University): http://autolab.altervista.org/
Personal Information & Curiosities
- I’m native of Rome, Italy. I love and miss my home town, but not its transportation system
- I speak fluent Italian and English, decent French and basic Spanish
- I am an aspiring stand-up comedian 🙂
- I’m very interested in entrepreneurship and the business perspective of research ideas
- I have a huge passion for music. I love singing but singing doesn’t love me 🙂 Also, I can play the piano and pretend to play guitar and drums
- My Erdős Number is 3 (via Elisa Bertino)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover”.
“Failing to plan is planning to fail”.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”.
― Leonardo Da Vinci
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams”.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy ice cream. And that’s kind of the same thing”.
“I never worry about the future. It comes soon enough”.
― Albert Einstein
“In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is”.
― Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut, computer scientist and educator
“Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts”.
― Rich Rosen, software and web developer